Monday, 13 October 2014

Hats off to Kathy Bates!

The talented actress Kathy Bates has become the spokeswoman for LE&RN - Lymphatic Education & Research Network. After a double mastectomy two years ago she now has Lymphedema in both arms. I am so sad to learn this but her situation is similar to so many other women out there, including some of you reading this. I think Kathy Bates is so cool for speaking up and coming out about having Lymphedema. I have often wondered what famous people did when developing Lymphedema. Hide in embarasment I suppose since one never hear about celebrities with Lymphedema. Ingrid Bergman had and also Elizabeth Edwards but apart from that I don't know of anyone.
I really hope Kathy Bates will succeed in bringing focus on Lymphedema and the challenges we have. If you want you can listen to her story here.

If you too want to help educate others about Lymphedema you can download and print my little flyer and give it to who you think could benefit - ie your family doctor, your biglegged next door neighbor, other clinics, the notice board at the local supermarkets or somewhere else. Find the link here

I am sorry it's been so long. I have been so busy but I have lots to tell you and show you. I got a job, yay! I have started working in a markting department where I will be making product sheets, updating homepages, designing ads and brochures etc. etc. My new colleagues are very nice and my office is comfy. My days are long though as I have some commuting. I get up at 5.45 and I am home at 5.30. Still, I am so relieved that I am, at least for now, is out the stinky swamp that looking for work is that I don't care about the journey back and forth.

10 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you again and glad you have a job.

    It's good to have somebody come out and talk about Lymphedema but I wish she might acknowledge primary too. "It seems like punishment for having cancer" - what about when you get it out of the blue? Her not mentioning primary makes it seem as if you only get lymphedema after having cancer. Many of us might have gotten diagnosed faster if there was more awareness of this.

    It's a good first step - I don't want to seem ungrateful. But I wish there'd be more awareness of primary, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine,
      I agree about acknowleging Primary Lymphedema too but as too many of us know most people only know about it as a sideeffect of BC, perhaps this inlcludes Kathy.
      I hope you are well and happy :-)
      Liz

      Delete
  2. That's good to know news
    the best on your new job
    :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy your blog! Since I have lymphedema in both legs, I read with interest when you tried out the cabbage poultice a while back. When you did it, did you only do it the one time? Have you ever tried it again?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tickmenot,
      yes I am afraid I only tried it the one time. I haven't tried it since but have often thought about it as I think it could be powerful but perhaps it should be part of a more thorough cleanse which I have no doubt would show results but then we are back at the "how far will we go" discussion. Please let us know if you have tried it and what your results were, thanks.
      Warm regards
      Liz

      Delete
  4. Hello
    Just wanted to congratulate you on the new job. Must be a great relief. Hope it continues to go well.
    Hope your leg doesn't mind the commuting too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hutch,
      thank you so much, yes it is a tremendous relief! I used to commute before too so my leg doesn't mind. It does mind all the sitting at work though but now I have an adjustable desk so I can chose to stand when I feel like it, that is very helpful.

      Delete
  5. Question looking for answers to having Accupuncture on my legs for Lymphemema? Two years post surgery lymph removal legs are swollen from knee to groin. Having regular weekly drainage massage. Do not want to go backwards. Very active can exercise and play tennis but the fluid collects at my knees. Also use compression daily. My legs skin is in good condition, what I have read the medical profession is worried about cellulitis. Thank you for any input.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, thanks for writing - sorry about the long time reply. I tried acupuncture 14 times or so when my Lymphedema first started and nothing what so ever happened. I would not do it again. I think there is a risk - however small - of infection and cellulitis and you don't want that - trust me!

      Take care,
      Liz

      Delete