Friday, 7 March 2014

Loveliness

Hi everyone! I am sorry it's been so long.
I have some breaking news. Breaking news for me.

I have met someone. A sweet, loving, gorgeous, kind man. He doesn't care about me having Lymphedema and about my poxy stocking. My horrible secret. The first couple of times we were together he didn't even notice it! I did do my best to hide it though, as silly and insecure as I am when it comes to my Lymphedema and the stocking. However, when he discovered he was not disgusted. At all. We talked about it and since then he has told me many times that it doesn't matter. And it really doesn't. Unbelievable! I can potter around in my stocking and put it on in front of him and he has even looked Lymphedema up and read a little about it! Life seems easy now. No hiding. No horrible secret. What a mindblowing and unreal relief! I never thought this would happen. In the years that have passed since my Lymphedema started I have sometimes wondered if I should ever feel the nearness of someone again this way. Now I do.
Who knows what the future holds but if this should end I will be warm inside when looking back at it and at him and the fact that he thought I was beautyful and wonderful and that he saw right through the dodgy packaging and into what I have to give. I feel so lucky.

The other day I spend the afternoon together with Sophisticated Tina. She looked more stylish than ever with a really cool haircut - very short on the sides and a little longer on the top, dyed black. A  fauxhawk. A little bit like this or this. I think she is so cool for daring to have such a hairstyle at 50! And she really pulls it off. As we were sitting in a coffeeshop I was expecting some style agent to come over and discover her any minute. We walked around in the city for a bit and checked out a couple of shops. She is really good at spotting potential outfits and I felt almost encouraged to shop again, or at least investigate.

I am listening to this song. It is in Danish but check it out anyway. It is a beautyful and intense ballad about trusting your destiny and love while lifes little electric shocks pushes your around. If the link above doesn't work in your country try this one. It is slower but still beautyful.


18 comments:

  1. Your story is so inspiring. I've just now stumbled upon your blog. My newborn has lymphedema and I cry mostly all day thinking about the hardships she will face. I can't feel better about it yet as it's so new but stories like this are so great. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear you. I can only try to imagine what it must be like for you with a newborn with Lymphedema. However, it might not be as hard for her as you think. She will not have known anything else so even though the compression stocking is hot ect. wearing it will still be normal for her when she grows up because this is what she knows. Children are so good at adapting and accepting things as they are, aren't they. I think it is different when Lymphedema appears after years of being used to wearing skirts, sandals etc. She is going to have a wonderful, happy life with lots of love and good times, trust me :-)
      Warm hugs
      Liz

      Delete
  2. Hi, your blog is such an inspiration. I had a malignant melanoma on my leg in 2007 and consequently ended up have lymph nodes removed from my groin. I didn't suffer much swelling until recently after having to take prednisolone for my Crohn's disease my left leg now seems to be stuck at about 3-4cm larger than my right- I'm not happy and find it hard to deal with at times but it's nice to hear I'm not alone ... Thank you . Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, thank you so much for your sweet comment! I am sorry that you got Lymphedema after the surgery. It is weird how it can come so many years after, but I have heard it from others too.
      You are so not alone, and trust me when I say it gets easier to live with over time :-)
      Warm regards
      Liz

      Delete
  3. I tried to listen to the song but it said it was available in my country--United States. Any other links to try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tickmenot, I didn't realize it would not work in some countries. The song is called Små stød and it is by a band called Panamah, perhaps you can do a search on Youtube and get to it that way, I hope so.
      Liz

      Delete
    2. I had the some problem, but with you suggestion I get the link
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ukahDwg8WQ (Is this one? Very Beautiful :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulation
    Please keep feelling live :)
    The future doesn´t matter the important is keep building the present with true and love
    :)
    Manuela
    http://l-de-linfa.blogspot.pt/p/quem-sou-e-o-que-pretendo.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Manuela, you are so right.
      Liz

      Delete
  5. Yay! What lovely news hurra hurra! So pleased for you, especially after the tough time over the last year or so.
    I don't have such exciting news but there are a couple of things I've been meaning to tell you about:
    I saw the surgeon before Christmas about the super-microsurgery but unfortunately they can't do anything for me as they showed I have practically no viable lymph vessels in my calf, so there's nothing for them to work with. So that was a bit of a blow. If you want more info on this, email me and i can explain in more detail.
    The other thing is that I have booked to go on a fasting de-tox for a week at the end of the month. I've been thinking about this for a while to see just how much diet might affect the swelling. Even if it doesn't help directly it should be nice and relaxing as there is a pool and daily yoga and nice countryside to walk in.
    And congrats again on finding a nice man - it gives us all a bit of hope to know these things can and do happen.
    Hutch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hutch, great to hear from you, and thanks for being pleased for me :-)
      I am sorry there was nothing to do reg. micro surgery, what a bummer!
      The detox sounds lovely and interesting, I too have been thinking about doing one as I am sure I would see results. You must have been by now, I wonder how it went? What is holding me back is the costs, but how lovely they sound.
      By the way, inspired by one of your pairs on the shoe picture I went a bought sandals the other day, yay! Semiclosed toes but still sandals and they look quite feminine.
      Take care, have a lovely summer!
      Liz

      Delete
  6. So glad to hear this! I hope it lasts and lasts....and you'll know it's true love when you're in a wrapping phase and he helps you re-roll the bandages, which is actually a kind of cozy thing to share. Any guy that can't see inside any of us isn't worth having anyway - it's not as if most of the men in the world are perfect superheroes either, we all look for the hidden treasure. Bests

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine, thank you for your sweet words. He does that too - roll bandages :-) He finds it theraputic, so that's good ;-)
      It is so true what you are saying about them not deserving us if they can't see what is behind. This one can, and I cherish him.
      Take care
      Liz

      Delete
  7. Hello
    I spoke about you
    http://l-de-linfa.blogspot.pt/2014/04/o-amor-esta-no-ar.html
    your exemple is great
    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to read this news, so happy for you. Have been following your blog for a couple of years now and it's a great inspiration. Thanks for doing this and wishing you lots of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thank you so much for your comment! I wish you luck and happines too :-)
      Liz

      Delete