Thursday, 21 February 2013

Farrow Wrap

I recently got a Farrow Wrap to use on the lower leg over my Jovipak nightgarment as I feel the nightgarment itself hasn't done all that much. I know that many of you know about the Farrow Wrap but for those who don't it is a kind of bandage made of a number of strips assembled in the middle, closed with Velcro. It looks like this:


In the time just after I was diagnosed nearly four (OMG!!!) years ago I had a similar product, it was from another manufacturer and called CircAid. So now I've got this one and I've used it for a few nights. It is not bad at all. There is definitely a difference to see upon taking the bandage off in the morning, the swelling is somewhat less. The Farrow Wrap I have covers the lower leg only so the knee and upper leg has no extra compression. For a couple of nights I applied a roll of bandage on the knee before putting on the Farrow Wrap and it worked, the lower leg and knee both looked real nice in the morning. However, my foot went numb during the night and I had to take off the Farrow Wrap and the roll on the knee. Perhaps I tightened the FW too much. Perhaps it was because I don't have enough compression on my foot compared to the leg.


Applying my nightgear is a little cumbersome, I feel. It is not at all comparable to a full wrap though but no longer a "slip-on" solution either. First I put some pads in strategic places to put extra pressure on the forefoot and bones on the side of the ankle joint, then the Jovipak, then the "jacket" that comes with the Jovipak, next a roll of bandages on the knee and finally the new Farrow Wrap. It takes maybe five minutes whereas a full wrap takes me about twenty minutes or so, so it is still an improvement, timewise.


On the picture below I have it all on. I am so incredibly sensitive on the bones on the side of the forefoot, that's why the "jacket" is not covering the foot, my fitter have adjusted it. It is not the greatest in relation to most pressure must be on the foot, so I put some pads on the forefoot, under the Jovipak, it works somewhat. I use my Easy-Slide to put on the Jovipak with the pads inside. I have a post about my pads here.



I don't think I have posted anything about the new nightgarment I got, the second Jovipak. The new one is longer and covers the hip, which is what I need now. The last six months or so I have had a bulge just over the top of the compression stocking and the new garment somewhat addresses this. It looks like this:



Last Friday I went to an awesome concert with a great Swedish band, Bo Kaspers Orkester. They are very popular overhere. I love their laid back, jazzy tune and curious lyrics. If you want, you can listen to a couple of their songs here and here and here. They sing only in Swedish which would make no sense to most readers here, but I guess you can still enjoy the music. Swedish is related my language but I don't understand everything either. Hutch, do you know and like them?

2 comments:

  1. Greetings!

    I've read your blog and I can definetly feel your frustration. I've been treating patients with chronic lymphedema with associated wounds for over 20 years. I've developed a process using platelet rich plasma that is very promising. Please see youtube link below:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN508wViNAo

    Thanks

    Dr. Releford

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sir,
    thanks for your tip about your product.
    I was wondering if you have considered using Google Adwords for your product? It would surely come up here on the blog for more readers to see and potentially benefit from.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete