Sunday, 4 November 2012

Big walk, day 15

Hi all. This is not day 15, I am home now. I prepared this post around day 15 but never got to publish it. Believe me when I say that lots have happened since I wrote this. Cellulitis, hospital (in Spain), Dad having Melanoma (and lymphnodes removed!). Anyway, I thought that now that I wrote the stuff below I might as well post it. In the meantime I will write about my ordeals. I am good now and it is wonderful to be home again. See you soon.

************

It’s me again, I am about 50 km from Santiago now. Feet are much better, I look after them good now. I am enjoying the walking very much. The weather has been quite nice lately. It is only about 16°C but it doesn’t matter, one heats up from the walking and the sun being out is the main thing, I feel.

Among the people I have met since my last post is a Canadian family of two sisters, their father and the one sisters little son, seven years old. He was such a trooper, they would walk about 20 km each day and he never complained. Every time they had a break or when they finished walking for the day he would run around pretending to be a car or a plane. So much energy! Yesterday I was walking with an Australian lady, perhaps 60 or so. We had a good talk and the 16 km flew by. She had lost her son three years ago in a car accident. Now she walked the Camino trying to figure out what to do with the rest of her life. Like me.

So a day in the life of a pilgrim here on the Camino starts around six or seven in the morning when the early risers starts rattling with their plastic bags, getting their stuff together. At many of the shelters they want you gone by eight, so that’s when I leave. Then you walk till sometime in the afternoon, get a bed at a shelter and perhaps rest for a bit. Then it is time for showering and washing the clothes you’ve been walking in so they are ready for the next days afternoon. Usually by then, for me, I write a few notes in my journal and then it is time to think about dinner. Most places one can have a menu of the day or a pilgrims menu, I have had that many times. However, in some shelters there are kitchens so some cook. A couple of times I have gotten a frozen lasagne or something and heated it in the microwaveoven. Around eight I start getting ready for bed and it happens that all the pilgrims in the dormitory are in bed by nine. Tired from the days walking, knowing an early start awaits. That’s pretty much it. Some arrive early in the day and have time to check out the town or village, though often there is nothing to check out. I’ve got enough on my plate taking care of my feet and trying to take it all in.

I've taken some pictures here and there along the route but can’t get them out of my camera before I am home, then I will post some so you can see how beautyful it is here.

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! Sounds like you've really been through it. Glad you've finally made it home. I hope the good bits of the trip have been able to make up for at least some of the bad stuff.
    Take care of yourself (mentally and physically)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hutch :-)
      There were good days too, especially after the break I had to take.
      I still feel quite tired, so taking it easy.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear - sorry to hear about the cellulitis and the hospital! That happened to me last fall (practically my first lymphedema experience) and made me paranoid about getting it again for a long time after...glad you were able to get good medical care and hope the Spanish hospital experience was interesting rather than traumatic. Why do things always come at once? I'm sorry to hear about your dad, too. Hope things are settling down for you now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine, yes it is lurking in the back, getting it again. I think my health in general is pretty good so unless something happens, like going on a big walk, getting blisters etc. I think the chances are small, but who knows. I think I might get some AB to have in store just in case.
      Dad is better but it is along recovery. Thanks for your kind words :-)

      Delete