Saturday, 1 September 2012

My big walk coming up


My big walk in Northern Spain that I was gonna go on in May this year but postponed is now going to start early October. Soon now. I've got my outbound flight but no return flight as I don't know when I will arrive in Santiago and I don't want to have to rush to make my flight.
I am training for the walk, at the moment I walk up to 13 km, but the other day I walked 17 with a walking group, that went allright. In Spain I am counting on walking at least 20 km per day, hopefully more. Will take great care to not overdo it, especially during the first week. I hear that many pilgrims overdo it and end up with injuries after only a few days of walking. I will listen to my body. Also, who knows how the Lymphedema leg is going to feel about all this.

I wonder what the walk will be like. In general and as to travelling this way with Lymphedema. I will be staying in in dormrooms in pilgrim hostels. I suppose I can take off the stocking and put it back on in the bathroom, but I'm better off sitting on my bed doing it and it might be good for me to just say "sod it" and not care what others might be thinking. I think many of the others will have various problems with their feet that they will be attending too and I guess there will be others with various issues.


I might sometimes "cheat" and stay a night in a B&B or hotel for a bit of luxury and privacy. Those nights I can wrap my leg if I need to, I am going to bring a few rolls of bandages so I can wrap a little.

6 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Sorry I've not been around lately, it's been an odd summer. Anyway, great news about your trip. I'll be very interested to hear how you get on as I want to go hiking in Nepal one day but have been hesitating because of the leg.
    I am actually going to Cuba for two weeks around the same time as your holiday. I know the heat and sitting on buses for hours and not bandaging, etc, etc will make the leg worse, but that's my choice. I will work hard before and after to make up for it and anyway I won't care cos I'll be in Cuba!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll be interested to hear how this goes too - hiking is something I definitely want to get back to. I have a Japanese friend who did the pilgrimage hike this summer and it seems to have been life-changing for him. You inspire me to get myself healthy so I can go out and have adventures again too! And Hutch, great to hear about you going to Cuba - another inspiration.

      As for the stocking and hostels, as you say, so many people are likely to be wearing knee braces, etc, and treating their own legs for various injuries that I'd think you wouldn't stand out that much. And if somebody asks about it, tell 'em! That'll make one more person who's heard of lymphedema. Not that we always want to be poster people for this thing, of course, but it doesn't necessarily hurt.

      Delete
    2. Hi Hutch, good to see you here again :-)
      I do hope I will be able to post news from the trip every now and then. Nepal sounds great!
      Yes, after some time with Lymphedema we know what to do if the leg goes up, I think your attitude about your trip is cool :-) Enjoy Cuba, I'd like to go there someday. My parents went a few years back and still rave about it!

      Delete
    3. Don't be silly - I hope you will have better things to think about than us while you're on the trip. But we will expect a full report when you get back :)

      Re stockings in public, I don't seem to mind when it's total strangers at the gym although I can be very shy and self-conscious about all sorts of things normally. I think you have to try to just get on with whatever you need to do. We can't hide this the whole time.

      Like Elaine said - it's a good chance to educate people if they ask. And you never know, maybe one person we speak to will have a friend with a mysteriously swollen limb who can't get answers. WE could provide that life-enhancing diagnosis... OK, so I'm getting a bit carried away now... It's because Elaine included me in the 'inspiration' category and it's gone to my head. [I'm sure there's a bad joke to be made about lymphoedema and a swollen head, but I will refrain]

      Delete
    4. Ha, I've been getting so many warnings about things that can go wrong from my therapists that it's great to hear about people going out and having adventures. My biggest sorrow with this condition is that I probably can't travel to the totally back-of-beyond places that I used to love to visit - but hearing about other peoples' trips makes me think something can still be done. Maybe not to quite the wild places I used to hit, but close.

      Delete
  2. Hutch, you are right, we can't hide this the whole time. When I look back at my trip to Korea last year, sharing rooms with a fellow traveller, I get all exhaused just by thinking of all the trouble I went through to hide my leg+stocking. Surreal...
    I think this trip to Spain might be good practise for me to not be so obsessed, at least among strangers. Baby steps...
    Elaine, it's true, we get so many warnings and advice, many of them useless. In the beginning it makes sense to listen but after some time we get to know our Lymphedema and after all we know our bodies best. We discover what we can and cannot do. I am sad when I hear of people giving up things they love when there really is no reason to, just because they had an overcautious therapist saying it. We learn how to handle it. Like Hucth going to Cuba saying "I know what to do when I get back" :-) We might be best off to not head to the wildest of the wildest places but the world is so big and there are still so many fantastic places to explore.
    Also, I have heard about a pilgrim walk in Japan, in Kyushu, walking from temple to temple - 84 of them or something like that. Sounds amazing, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete