Thursday, 27 October 2011

Bandaged

My big wrapping session began Monday morning and should last till Tuesday where I will be measured for new compressionsstockings and hopefully the JoviPak nightgarment, I'm still waiting to hear from HandicapService.
The days have been allright but the first two nights was a challenge. I've been going to bed around ten, waking up at 1 with toes going numb and pain at one of the bones, walking around, back to bed, up again, ending up sleeping some hours on the sofa with one leg hanging out, leaning on some items on the floor. Last night was really good as the bandages was sitting a little better and less tight at the ankle. It was wonderful to have a good nights sleep.

My leg is making progress. I don't feel it has made a world of difference yet, but my therapist is quite happy. I guess it takes a little while to mobilize the fluid and get the various players in this going. It does look better though and the tissue is much softer and wobbly. The Mobiderm bandage underneath the shortstretch bandages is very effecient.

Some of me in my wrapping outfit.

I am wearing my wrapping gear which is my ancient but much loved Scholl trekking sandals (have had the strap on the one sandal made longer) and very widelegged hip hop pants. Doesn't look all that flash with socks in the sandals, but that's just too bad. I am not really much out and about anyway, this week I have arranged three days working from home/time off where I go home and stay there after treatment. It's too much hassle with the stairs (I'm on the 3rd floor), too cold with sandals and I feel akward. I don't mind at all though, I am indeed a homeperson, and I have lots to do, in fact I'm a bit behind with e-mails and other things on the computer, not to mention domestic work.

There are now ten votes in the diet poll. One dairy, four salt and five "diet doesn't seem to matter". If you haven't voted already I should be ever so grateful if you would. You can have a peek anytime and see the score. You will find the poll to your right. Thanks.

I've added a link to the Lymphedema Shoeguide. It is www.duoboots.com. I've known about this shop for years, even before Lymphedema, but for some reason I forgot go put it on the list. Sorted now. They make individually fitted boots for wide calfs.

The new pump arrived today and the timing could not have been better as I will be on my own reg. wrapping and draining during the weekend. I am going for a session Friday morning and then again Monday morning. I am planning to pump when I sometime Saturday take the bandages off, then put on stocking with bandages on top, and then pumping and wrapping before bedtime. Same procedure Sunday and perhaps a pumping session early Monday morning before therapy. I'm looking forward to get started with the LymphaPress.

6 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    Just stumbled onto your blog. I also have lymphoedema in my right leg. It sucks! I recently had microsurgery in italy to try and help. Expensive but I think the results will be worth it. Try looking for Professor Corradino Campisi on the internet if you're interested. He's a world expert in lymphoedema and has even healed some patients.

    Melissa, NZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,
    thank you for your comment and your input! You're spot on - it sucks!
    It is indeed very interesting with the microsurgery, and I would very much like to know more about how you go. Is there any chance you would tell me (and perhaps the other readers) about your situation and your progress in a comment or an e-mail to me (lymfeblogger@gmail.com)? I will definitely check the professor out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. I have lymphedema in my entire left leg that I acquired after being diagnosed with cervical cancer. I am 37 years old and have had it now for 2.5 years and struggle with it. I am not trying wheat grass to see if it helps with the swelling and just ordered some horse chestnut extract as I came across a study that showed virtually no swelling after 2 weeks on the herb. I'll let you know how it goes. I am in the military and it's difficult to keep the swelling down wearing mid-calf boots all day. I struggle in the summers too, as I want to wear cute clothing and can't. Haven't quite come to terms with the whole deal yet. I keep hoping for some kind of cure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brandy, thanks for writing :-) We have had Lymphedema for almost the same amount of time. I think I am getting more used to it somehow, but it is still a hassle. Do let me know how you go on the horse chestnut. I tried, but didn't see any results. We are all different though and there are different brands, I hope you will have success. I'd like to give the wheatgrass another try but it tastes so awful and I think one would have to do it as a part of a major continiuos cleanse. I am not ready to give up on all the food I love.
    Yes, especially the thing about not being able to wear skirts and sandals is a curse. I don't know if I will ever fully come to terms with this, but I do feel that inside I am slowly realizing or perhaps even accepting that this is for life. However, when it comes to other people I am as embarrased as in the beginning and terrified that anyone will discover the gruesome truth.
    Warm regards,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got tears in my eyes after reading this young man's story: http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1895
    His doctor amputated his affected leg. SO sad and obviously not a cure nor proper treatment. The positive story from today: Thanks to you, my mother's PT cut out two "kidney bean" shape cushions for mom's ankles! Plus, a 97 yr-old patient donated lots of hardly-used bandages and we got to have them! The ones we had were getting so worn out while waiting for new Circaids. The order is hung up due to insurance but at least that allowed mom to be remeasured... her "bad" leg is greatly down in size! The other leg remeasured uncharacteristically large today. Maybe due to the bandages wearing out and not holding size? Regardless, the PT is submitting a combination of all the smallest measurements to ensure the best fit possible. Yay! We're so ready for these garments to be made and shipped. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina,
      I read the post too, it makes me want to cry too. As Pat says, those docs should have their own legs taken off and see how they like that!
      Wow, that's great that your mum got some "kidneybeans" too :-) For me they are very good, I am sure they will be on your mum too. And what a scoop with the bandages - they cost a fortune! It's so good to hear your mums leg has gone down in size, we need such good news :-)

      Delete