Sunday, 11 September 2011

Halleluja

Me in my fancy dress.
It is Sunday, the day after the wedding. It went well, but I'm so relieved it is over. Sadly I've been seeing it as an ordeal, partly due to all the fuss with the outfit and partly because I more and more am a homeperson. I am not good at crowds and staying up late, as boring as that sounds. I think it is natural to go through different stages in life. In first youth we love going out, partying, meeting people. As we get older I think we (maybe it is just me) instinctively feels like building a nest, settling down, finding peace. I've been in this stage for years, but I wish I had someone to be here with.

The happy couple was so beautyful, especially the bride. It is so wonderful and fantastic that these two have found each other, even after more than five years they are so into each other and so enjoy their life together, not to mention their beautyful little girl. They are so good and so right together. I wish I had what they have.
My outfit looked OK and I even had a couple of compliments. My leg behaved, it really had no reason not to, exept that the one shoe got a little uncomfy, but nothing major.
The dinner was an endless stream of speeches and songs with courses of food in between. There must have been 15 or more guests wanting to pay tribute to the couple. Overhere it is normal for close relatives or friends to make a song for the couple. One chooses a melody that everyone knows and writes a little song about the couple, their life, hobbies, how they met, funny annecdotes etc, photocopies it and hands it out to all the guest, and everybody sings. Yesterday I think there were three songs, and a lot of speeches. A set of friends performed a little, homemade fairytale about the couple.

Today I feel a little sad. I always get (more) emotional the day after events like weddings. Thinking about what was said in some of the speeches. Thinking about my life.

Today is also 9/11. Unreal that it's been ten years. My newspaper brought a lot about it today, ie a number of interviews with survivors, how they experienced it and their thoughts about it. The big national TV-channels are broadcasting from memorial events all day and I've seen some footage that I don't think has been transmitted before, at least not here.
I was at home that day, ten years ago. We're about eight hours ahead, so it was afternoon here. I had just sat down with a coffee, having a little break from domestic chores and turned on the TV, and there it was, on all the newschannels. It had just happened, but the towers were still standing. As soon as I realized what was going on I called Mum and Dad to let them know, in case they hadn't heard already. The following hours I sat in disbelief, glued to the TV, switching between CNN and the Danish news channels, trying to take it all in, which I couldn't. Who could? In the evening I had a dinner appointment with an old friend I don't see very often and hadn't seen for a very long time. It had been arranged months ahead and I couldn't bring myself to cancel even though I just wanted to stay home and watch the news, and it felt wrong going out having fun, catching up with my friend while all this was going on. On my way to the restaurant there were people from the big news agencies handing out flyers on the street about the horrible news. Later that night people would spontaneously head for the churches, looking for some sort of consolation, I guess. In the weeks that followed the area outside the American embassy was a sea of flowers, and people would stop by to pay their respect.

2 comments:

  1. You are very beautiful. It's nice to see the face behind this wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, thank you so much :-)

    ReplyDelete