Sunday, 10 July 2011

Hiking

Yesterday I went walking with a hiking club that I used to go walking with before Lymphedema. It was the first time since the Lymphedema started. Previously, I would sometimes go on 10-15 km walkingtours and also some weekend trips to Sweden, but since the Lymphedema began I for various reasons haven't been on any tours. In the beginning I had to learn what I could and couldn't do, then I was bandaged, then my walking shoes didn't fit, the route was too long, the weather was bad etc etc, but yesterday I finally managed to get going, and it was so good! Wonderful to go walking again, super nice area and really good to get out and meet some new, positive, genuine people. Now I will try and attend walking tours more often when there is a one that is right for me.

I was knackered when I got home though the tour was only 13 km. I guess it's about being used to it. The little toe on the lymphedemafoot had been squashed a little, but today it was back to normal – or as normal as it gets. It seems the foot and ankle is a little bigger today so I've put a little bandage on top of the stocking, just two rolls, and only for wearing indoors.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lymphedemagirl. I am a 3rd year Podiatry student and am very interested on the problems and effects you have with your feet when you go walking. Would it be possible for you to go into more detail on what problems you have with shoes etc and any other problems you have with your feet. I am writing an assessment for pathological gait and would like to know more about Lymphoedema and problems associated with walking. Many thanks Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    my problem is not related to walking as such, it is more about shoes in general. Because of extra fluid the lymphedema foot is bigger than the other and also the thick compression stocking adds to the need for a bigger shoe on that foot. Furthermore some lymphedema patients tend to get sensitive on various places due to the pressure of the compression stocking and perhaps too small/narrow shoes, my two spots are the bones next to the little toe and the big toe, see the picture in the post called "Under Pressure", it's from late December 2010. The toecap that I and many others wear really takes up a lot of room, perhaps 5mm or more extra in width of the foot, therefore wide shoes are a must. Especially in cold weather I can not tolerate pressure on these places. Most boots I can not get my foot into because of a higher instep now with lymphedema. I hope this helped, if not, feel free to ask more questions. Good luck with your assessment.
    LymphedemaGirl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a 45 year old woman with Primary Lymphedema. Although I can now see it in childhood pictures, if you didn't know I had it, you wouldn't. However, when I started adolescence, it became very obvious. I have it throughout my body but most noticeable in my arms and legs. As I age, it gets worse. I've tried dieting, elevating my limbs and wrapping them. Some things help slightly, but there is really nothing that makes it look better. Hot weather makes it worse which is a big problem when you live in the south. I hope at some point in my life there will be better ways to treat it and, certainly, cure it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks for writing :-)
      Interesting that you can actually see it in childhood pictures. When I was first diagnosed the nurse asked me if I had ever noticed the now bad leg being a tiny bit bigger than the other and I said no but afterwards I've been thinking that it might have been when zipping up some long, fancy boots...
      I am sorry to hear yours seems to be getting worse with age. What about compression sleeves and -stockings? My stocking keeps mine at bay, but only just. Really should have a little more compression on it but can't do it. I too hope for a cure, but doubt it will happen. Who knows ;-)

      Delete