Sunday, 8 May 2011

Cabbage poultice, Vol. 1

Savoy cabbage (isn't it?)

Ready for action:
Olive oil, kitchen towel, cabbage, old bandages to hold cabbage in place, plastic wrap and tape.

Lanes of cabbage leaves wrapped around my leg, covered
with plastic wrap to hold it in place and avoid to much mess in bed.
After I took this picture I put some old long-stretch bandages on
to keep everything in place.


For a while I have been wanting to try cabbage poultice to see if it would have any effect on my Lymphedema. Apparently this old household remedy is good for many things, ie various types of swelling, so I thought I'd give it a go.
I measured my leg Saturday morning and again Sunday morning having had the cabbage leaves on for the night, and the measures had gone down a little. Not very much though, and I am thinking that it might not be the cabbage, but the bandages, although I just used some old long-stretch bandages and I didn't do a proper lymphedema wrapping, the wrapping was only meant to hold the cabbage leaves in place. I will try again soon, and again later with another type of cabbage. I think the one I used yesterday was Savoycabbage.
There are different ways of doing a cabbage poultice, I did it with whole leaves that I cut into lanes, but one can also grind the cabbage with water into a think paste and apply to the affected area, though not for a whole night, only an hour or so.

9 comments:

  1. I like the cabbage photos ... I am going to try this treatment (maybe tomorrow) ... I need to gather my equipment ...I am 54 year old female, diagnosed last year with melanoma on my right arm. Had removal of 4 lymph nodes during surgery. I know that I need to detoxify the body on a regular basis and yeah I need to lose those excess pounds (I wish to loose 40 pounds ... I know I can do it ... Thx for sharing above info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks for writing :-)
      I'd really like to know how it goes when you do the treatment. I haven't tried it since this attempt. I hope you will see some good results.
      I think you are right about detoxing. It seems some are able to keep their Lymphedema very much at bay by staying on a restricted diet. I tried various things in the beginning but I didn't do it whole-hearted. I am working on a post about this, stay tuned.
      Liz

      Delete
    2. I found that the leaves did more for my leg than the mixture made in the blender - less messy as well. I wrapped the moistened leaves on my leg using a torn up white sheet and then wrapped in saran wrap and left on the entire night. My leg felt soft and smooth and not so tight the next day. A very temporary relief. Rebounding is the best way to get the swelling to go down.

      Delete
    3. Hi there,
      Interesting that the leaves were more effecient than the mixture. I still wonder if it is the wrapping or the leaves that makes the difference. I haven't been rebounding at all for a long time but want to start again. It is good to hear you have good results with this.

      Delete
  2. I'm 36 yrs old and had a tumor removed from my right leg 24 years ago! 24 years dealing with this swollen leg!! I'm willing to try anything and everything! The older I get and heavier I get.. The worse it gets! My normal weight is about 140.. Just had a baby and I'm at 170! Not good on my leg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee,
      I am so sorry you have had to deal with Lymphedema for 24 years!! Yes, they do say that the more extra weight, the more tissue to have Lymphedema in. I am not sure if the cabbage had any effect of it was just the wrapping. Proper Lymphedema wrapping does wonders, do you have treatment with a therapist?
      Liz

      Delete
  3. Never heard of this remedy for swelling!! But makes me think of who we are using DoTerra essential oils - also plant based healing - for the lymph system. Cypress on the bottom of the feet seems to help, as well as taking lemon internally. Just beginning to really incorperate the oils every day, but so far pretty promising! http://www.mydoterra.com/melissalowther/
    Also, a friend is really into the wheat free diet and had us read Wheat Belly. Nothing harmful about it, so we're going to do a four week trial of wheat free eating. The recommendations aren't too far off from the Budwig Diet, the big thing will be making sure we don't just cut out wheat but also bring in healthy nutrious foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina,
      very interesting with the oils and the diet! I wonder how things are now, now that it's been a while - any further progress?

      Delete
    2. Try reading the Bruess Cure. He has had great success with the cabbage method:)

      Delete