Monday, 11 October 2010

Lymph Yoga

I recently read about a course in my area of yoga especially for Lymphedema patients, it's called Lymphyoga. The instructor is a Lymphedema therapist and from a study in Southern India she has brought back techniques that she uses in the course. Her introduction:

In the Lymphyoga we focus on the breathing in the exercises – the shift between inhalation and exhalation creates an alternating pressure around the central lymphatic system which is hereby discharged and prepared to receive lymph from legs and arms. Deep breathing stimulates the transition between the lymphatic- and veinsystem so that the body can get rid of the excess fluid through the kidneys and urinary tract.Stretch and "muscle pumps" in the exercises stimulate the peripheral lymphatic system to incorporate the lymph and pass it on.We work with standing, sitting and reclining yoga "asanas" and breathing exercises, "Pranayama". 

When back from my upcoming trip to Thailand I think I might do this course, I will of course share my experience here. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has tried something like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment